Phase 4: week 24

Here are all the components. This week has been mainly about gathering all the material and photographing it. That took a lot longer than anticipated. I was so happy to see the material all together, the components relate to each other so nicely. My favorite image is the one when they are all on top of each other (see below) and the smallest purple component is just slightly trying to break away.


The full booklet and analysis:


The poster, the Subiaco.


This was extremely challenging to photograph. I wanted to show it opened up but also show the narrative of the fold. The fold is incredibly beautiful in reality.



The Bundle


The outcome of the project responds well to the initial aims and objective, and it made the theoretical inquiry more accessible. It was overwhelming to include the multimodal inquiry, since it required an immense amount of research. At the same time, it was something I did for me and my development. I wanted to explore the possibility of creating and conducting my own theoretical research and work with a visual response to that. However, it was a lot while also trying to figure out six different practical components.

To sum up what I have done in this project:

I constructed a social semiotic multimodal inquiry that was suitable for the premises of my project. I did all the research needed to be able to construct the inquiry. This research mainly came from social semiotics. I sampled the sources and did the research I needed in order to carry out the inquiry. Four pillars seemed to make out the framework of this research: typography, language, semiotics and ideology. Then finally, I carried out the inquiry. The findings from the inquiry fed into the practical process, and resulted in six different components. Four of these components were extensions of the research, they established the lens on contemporary typography. Two components challenge the research, they refract the lens on contemporary typography. 

I felt very lost during the process of writing the analysis. It took a long time and I did not want it to affect the time I put on the rest of the project. I think a lot of my reflections throughout this project have circled around what is expected of my submission and what I, myself, wish to submit or do. In regards to the inquiry, my understanding was that this was really irrelevant to the submission. I was worried that it would only be perceived as a way to complicate the project, which it was, but I was simply too curious. In hindsight, I am not sure of the quality of the inquiry from a multimodal perspective–but I am very glad I was able to finalise it and implement it like a beating heart of the project that gave life and purpose to the practical components.

The refracted lens was a part of the project that I feel quite the opposite about, this was something I thought was expected of me. I was reluctant to make it, because I felt it deserved more. The refracted lens was really a project on its own and now I had to scale it down to fit into the bundle. The refracted lens would have been a stronger component if it was interactive. I sketched out an idea of it being a digital solution where anyone could contribute to build an archive of communication. Working digitally would allow motion and sounds, and make the refracted lens a true component of plurality. However, the outcome of the refracted lens was more appropriate for the scope of this project. 

During the project I put fragmented parts of my research and practical trials on my instagram. It is a way for me to see some direct responses and a nice way to remember my process. Due to this, UdK Berlin reached out to me and initiated a conversation about showcasing my research in a book they are publishing. UdK Berlin has a Typography Lab that is led by Roman Wilhelm. We are currently in discussion under which forms this collaboration could be carried out. Whatever the outcome, this contact validates my research and tells me that there may be a space for this approach in typographic research. 

This MA has been incredibly helpful in defining my research interests. However, it has also made me come to the conclusion that I am leaving the design discipline. I have always sought for more than I can achieve in graphic design and tried to compensate through stuffing my projects with theory. Yet, the outcome has always lacked the academic sophistication I long for. During this project I have been taking an advanced course in English for research writing at Linnaeus University in Sweden and applied for a one-year master in Sweden in Media and Communication Studies. I wish to perfect my academic skills. My dream is to become an ‘academic spear’-that is a silly reference to one of my favourite books, that I also used in one of my previous projects: Aniara. The spear is a meaningless object in itself, but its presence evokes branching of the mainstream discourse, it has the power to change the minds of many. My perception of myself is a humbler interpretation of that. I perceive my presence as quite insignificant, but through production of knowledge or inquiry that may serve useful to others, I can legitimise myself. I think that is a very nice way to look at my possible future academic career.